1 a cylindrical container for oxygen or compressed air
2 a solid bounded by a cylindrical surface and two parallel planes (the bases)
3 a surface generated by rotating a parallel line around a fixed line
4 a chamber within which piston moves [syn: piston chamber]
EtymologyFrom cylindrus from κύλινδρος.
- A surface created by projecting a closed two-dimensional curve
along an axis intersecting the plane of the curve.
- When the two-dimensional curve is a circle, the cylinder is called a circular cylinder. When the axis is perpendicular to the plane of the curve, the cylinder is called a right cylinder. In non-mathematical usage, both right and circular are usually implied.
- A solid figure bounded by a cylinder and two parallel planes intersecting the cylinder.
- Any object in the form of a circular cylinder.
- A cylindrical cavity or chamber in a mechanism, such as the counterpart to a piston found in a piston-driven engine.
- A container in the form of a cylinder with rounded ends for storing pressurized gas.
- An early form of phonograph recording, made on a wax cylinder.
any cylindrical object
cavity or chamber
Cylinder may refer to:
- Cylinder (geometry), a three-dimensional geometric shape
- Cylinder (algebra), the cartesian product of a set with its superset
- Cylinder (engine), the space within which a piston travels in an engine
- Cylinder (steam locomotive)
- Cylinder (computer), a unit of data division on a hard disk drive
- Hydraulic cylinder, a cylinder barrel with piston rod for pushing and pulling using pressurized fluid
- Pneumatic cylinder, a cylinder barrel with piston rod for pushing and pulling using compressed gases
- Gas cylinder, containers used to store compressed gases or compressed air
- Diving cylinder, a type of gas cylinder used in Scuba diving
- Graduated cylinder, glassware used for measurement of liquids in laboratories
- Phonograph cylinder, the dominant medium of audio storage from the 1870s to the 1910s and in limited use (such as in the dictaphone) through the mid 20th century
- Cylinder (firearms), the cylinder is the rotating device that contains the firing chambers of a revolver
- A type of lens and a form of refraction error
- The part of a lock that is profiled to accept a specific key
cylinder in Arabic: أسطوانة
cylinder in Czech: Válec (rozcestník)
cylinder in Danish: Cylinder
cylinder in German: Zylinder
cylinder in Spanish: Cilindro (desambiguación)
cylinder in French: Cylindre (homonymie)
cylinder in Korean: 원기둥
cylinder in Italian: Cilindro
cylinder in Hebrew: צילינדר
cylinder in Lithuanian: Cilindras (reikšmės)
cylinder in Hungarian: Henger
cylinder in Macedonian: Цилиндар
cylinder in Norwegian Nynorsk: Sylinder
cylinder in Polish: Walec
cylinder in Romanian: Cilindru (dezambiguizare)
cylinder in Quechua: Tiñiqi
cylinder in Russian: Цилиндр (значения)
cylinder in Albanian: Cilindri
cylinder in Simple English: Cylinder (disambiguation)
cylinder in Slovak: Cylinder
cylinder in Slovenian: Valj
cylinder in Serbian: Ваљак
cylinder in Finnish: Lieriö
cylinder in Swedish: Cylinder
cylinder in Thai: ทรงกระบอก